If there is to be considered one important portion of the house, it is the roof; this is because it is intended as protection against snow, rain and direct sunlight. It keeps your family safe. If you are using buckets for catching the rain inside the living room, perhaps it is the right time to pay attention to replacing the roof. Assuming, however that you do not have enough budget to replace the roof; you can certainly have it repaired for the time being. The question is how to find the reputable and dependable contractor who will do the job?
* Check the yellow pages. You can easily find a lot of roofing contractors under the category of “roofing’. You can also search the internet for Roofing Repairs contractors in Chicago who will be more than willing to provide an estimate. The ads usually provide the address and contact numbers and you can always feel free to give them a call regarding free estimates. You can easily call 3 or more contractors in order to make a comparison on prices offered.
* Once you have accessed Roofing Repairs contractors in Chicago from the internet, search for testimonials or feedback that are usually provided by customers based on their own personal experiences with the roofing contractor.
* You can also ask for recommendations from neighbors, friends and relatives including your very own hardware supply store. You can follow up the recommendations and look for yourself their kind of workmanship.
* Be sure to ask for warranties. Most of the dependable Roofing Repairs experts in Chicago provide warranties for their job. Having your roof repaired is an important job and don’t let anyone just tamper with the roof. It is very important to assure that only the experts touch your roof. Remember that this is an investment and paid from hard earned money.
* Find out if the Roofing Repairs contractors in Chicago are licensed and bonded. Check for proofs of insurance including workmen’s compensation certificates.
Resist climbing a ladder and doing the repairs yourself. This is not suitable for DIY techniques. Leave it to the professionals; however; it is also possible to check the extent of the damage to the roof but be very careful if you do so.
* If you cannot easily see the damage, use a ladder with rubber safety support and wear non-slip rubber soled shoes to avoid slipping.
* Don’t walk on the roof because you might dislodge the protective surface waterproofing. It is also possible to fall down if you accidentally step on a weak portion of the roof.
* If you find a large accumulation of shingle surface granules in the gutter, it does not immediately mean that the roof needs a replacement. The roofing contractor will know what is the best for the roof– whether it needs a repair or a replacement.
* Look for cracks, missing tiles or loose pieces of roofing materials
* Take a look at the flashings on the chimney, skylights, vents, wall junctions and other areas
* Look at the television and radio antennas to see if the leaks are coming from improper sealing of the openings made on the roof during the installation